More residents are turning to the Male’ Taxi Line service for their daily travel around the capital, Chief Government Spokesperson Mohamed Hussain Shareef has said.
Private taxi operators had long struggled to keep up with demand in Male’. Some drivers were also reported to be turning down rides within the city, which added to the transport problems faced by residents. To address this, the government launched the Male’ Taxi Line service on April 2 this year.
Why the government stepped in
Speaking at the latest ‘Presser with the Spox’ session, Shareef noted that Male’ carries an unusually large number of vehicles for a country of Maldives’ size. Authorities therefore cleared out abandoned, damaged and unusable vehicles from the streets before rolling out the new service.
Since then, demand has kept climbing. The spokesperson said the government is now reviewing public feedback and weighing changes to improve the experience.
A strong first month
According to the Maldives Transport and Contracting Company (MTCC), the service completed more than 13,000 trips in its first month of operation. Public reaction has been mixed so far, with riders offering both praise and suggestions for refinement.
Around 150 environmentally friendly vehicles were brought in for the service. The fleet covers three different vehicle sizes, giving riders options depending on group size or luggage.
Customers can book a ride in two ways:
- Through the official website
- By calling the hotline

